Where to begin? We have been so busy. Hence, the lack of updates. I honestly don't know how to start. I guess I just will.
I went to see Swan Lake at the Kremlin. It was beautiful. We have gone on a lot of tours and Craig is teaching me how to play chess. Do not bring your dirty clothes to the laundry room in a suitcase, because they will think you are trying to leave the country. And you will be sent to the administrative office. I bought some souvenirs and finally found some postcards that weren't 20 rubles a piece. Now onto actually writing and mailing them. I'm sure that will take another two weeks. Okay, so I have actually done a lot of things over the past week or so. I just really don't feel like listing them all to you. I would rather just ramble. I'm not feeling very eloquent today.
I've only been here two weeks, and I already feel different. I can't really place it. There is just this underlying feeling of...change. I have always felt like there was a piece of me that I left behind here. I keep expecting to find it around every corner. But, it is not that simple. Every time I see an older person, I cannot help but think about how much change they have seen over the years. This world must be such a strange place for them.
There are a lot of empty eyes here.
Russians get really mad when you don't have exact change. And that whole, "the customer is always right" thing is completely false. The customer is never right, apparently. The pigeons here have no sense of personal space. It's upsetting.
I've only been here two weeks, and I already feel different. I can't really place it. There is just this underlying feeling of...change. I have always felt like there was a piece of me that I left behind here. I keep expecting to find it around every corner. But, it is not that simple. Every time I see an older person, I cannot help but think about how much change they have seen over the years. This world must be such a strange place for them.
There are a lot of empty eyes here.
The ending is so profound. But you can really see the Russian soul there, years of suffering. No smiles.
ReplyDeleteBut for real about the change thing! I had a 1000 RB note that i was gonna use to by water and beer and the woman got sooo pissed at me lol. It was the only note I had.
Oh yes. I have pissed many a cafeteria lady off with big bills.
ReplyDeleteSkills was terrified of the pigeons in Europe. If they got within five feet of her she would try to kick them away. At other times she hid behind me (as if my height will help protect her from their evil intentions).
ReplyDeleteI love your blog - it's so great! It makes me want to go to Russia.
-Sarah W.
Ahahahahahaha! I can see her doing that. Silly Skillz. I hope Europe was wonderful and I'm glad you like my blog. Russia is definitely an interesting place.
ReplyDelete